If you have never done a Pay Per Click Campaign before, it can be very daunting. Sometimes the risk factor turns you off before you even think about creating your first Adwords campaign.
Even if you have been burnt before, here I’m going to present you a list of 8 simple and systematic steps that should put you on the right track to creating successful pay per click campaign after successful pay per click campaign.
- Choose a Market: Go to popular affiliate program sites like Motive Interactive or Ads4Dough and find out what the most popular offers and affiliate products are. You need to choose a market that is proven and has lots of competition, as then you know that there is money being made in that niche.
- Choose the Keywords to use for your campaign: Once you have chosen a market, think about four or five search terms that you would enter into a search engine if you wanted to find out more about this market, just like if you were a customer looking for something that fits your necessities. Make a note of these keywords.
- Compile these keywords into a list: Take the keywords researched in the previous step and enter them into the free Wordtracker or Google Keyword tools. Copy and cut the lists of keywords that this tools generate into a Notepad and process them through another free tool like Good Keywords to get rid of any duplicates. Now you have a list that you will use in step 6, so save it and put it to one side.
- Choose what affiliate products you would like to promote: Using the first five original keywords you thought of in step 2, type them into Spyfu.com and study the sponsored ads it brings up for those keywords. You want to see which affiliate products are being promoted and which are most popular, so you can make a decision as to what affiliate program to promote based on your findings.
- Choose what kind Pay Per click campaign you are going to run: After you have determined what the most popular affiliate is, have a look how the pay per click advertisers are promoting their link – is the link directed to a landing page like a blog, or review page, or is it a direct link to the affiliate product? You will want to try and differentiate yourself from the other advertisers in your selected market.
- Break down your keyword list into groups of related keywords: Take your list of keywords from step 3 and break it into groups of 5 to 15 related keywords, ready to enter into your Google Adwords account.
- Create your Google Adwords account and start testing: Open your Google Adwords account and enter your keyword groups, which personally I do with the Adwords Editor to make the process faster. Take the plunge and set up an amount per day that you are comfortable with spending.
- After a week or so run a Google Adwords Search Query Report: The search query report will show you exactly what people have typed into Google for your ad to appear to them. This will help you refine your keywords and chose the best ones to continue on with your campaign.
This is a good strategy for creating your first Adwords campaign and once you have completed the steps, it is a formula you can refer back to and create many more successful pay per click campaigns.
To make this process even simpler, I do all of this with the help of Affiliate Espionage. It is a simple but powerful plugin for Firefox which exposes profitable PPC campaigns with ease. Check out what you can do with it, 100% recommended!